REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS ARE HUMAN RIGHTS:
Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms that belong to every person in the world, from birth until death. They apply regardless of where you are from, what you believe or how you choose to live your life and are based in a set of human rights principles’. These are sometimes called the FREDA principles - Fairness, Respect, Equality, Dignity, and Autonomy.
YOU HAVE A RIGHT:
· To safe ethical maternity care
· To self determination
· To be fully informed about your care with current evidence and research and not just hospital policy and protocol – informed consent
· To make choices that are right for you and your family
· To accept or to decline care
· To choose care outside of current policy and guidance
· To be treated with dignity, respect and free from neglect
· To privacy and family support
· To be treated equally regardless of race, disability or gender
NICE Quality Statement 7 (2012) States - Patients are made aware that they have the right to choose, accept or decline treatment and these decisions are respected and supported.
The White Ribbon Alliance state that ‘to improve maternal and new-born health is to promote self-care as a vital component of any comprehensive maternal and new-born healthcare strategy. We know that when women are equipped with information and resources, they make the best health decisions for themselves and their families’. www.whiteribbonalliance.org/self-care